Monday, February 9, 2009

barbapapa

One of my favorite childhood shows was an animation series called Barbapapa. Originally created as a series of books, Barbapapa was a shape changing fella who had a wife and seven children (also shape-changers) who would use their special powers to help people, rescue animals, and do other acts of kindness. I slowly began collecting Barbapapa stuff about ten years ago after I found an old book in Amsterdam. Now my shelf is lined with over twenty books, and yes I will admit I also have the keychain, soap dispenser, coin bank, salt + pepper shakers, tea pot...

5 comments:

LeelaBijou said...

So cool :)

TheSeaWithin said...

I grew up reading those books! I just loved them. I never saw them on TV though!

amypanda said...

I saw a barbapapa annual in a little second hand bookshop near me and I've never heard of it but am very tempted to buy it...such a strange and wonderful character!

myminimocs said...

wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH--this was my FAVORITE storybook when I was a kid. My grandma had a bunch of them in her basement, and when we got older I couldn't for the life of me remember their names. But I could always describe their amorphous shape and humanitarian powers. Oddly, my cousin was in Amsterdam last year and she came upon them as well! Apparently it's all the rage in Holland!